- 4 ears of fresh corn
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 red, yellow or green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime (juice)
- 2 tablespoons pineapple vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the fresh corn on the cob. Let the water come back to a boil and cook the corn for 4 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and put into an ice bath to stop the corn from cooking and preserve the bright yellow color.
- Once the corn has cooled, remove from the ice bath and pat dry. Stand the corn on one end and using a sharp knife, cut the corn off of the cob. Put the corn into a large bowl, combine with the diced bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, minced red onion and finely chopped basil.
- In another bowl, slice the avocado in half, removing the seed. Chop the avocado, maintaining it’s shape (don’t smash it) and juice one lime over the avocado. This will keep the avocado from turning brown.
- Combine the avocado and lime juice to the corn in the other bowl, stirring gently to combine all of the vegetables. Using the bowl that the avocado was in, combine olive oil, pineapple vinegar, sea salt, pepper and paprika. Mix the dressing and gently fold into the corn salad. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Pairing: Harvest Moon Winery, Dry Gewurztraminer